Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Monster that Ate my Debit Card

What I thought was just going to be a normal, boring holiday turned out to be an experience that severed my trust of machines and technology (expecting my laptop to blow a fuse any moment now although I really hope that doesn't happen) lol I had gone grocery shopping at Krogers on Labor Day and needed to withdraw money so I went to the Fifth-Third bank's ATM machine that was in the store. There's this slot where you put your card into the machine; I put my debit card into the slot and watched it go inside. This would be the second or third time in my life that I have ever used an ATM machine but I think I should have known something was wrong when the card got spit back out. I'm not sure if I could have taken the card back fast enough though since it got sucked back in right away. I remember feeling anxious as the screen told me to "Please wait.." Then, after a few seconds, the screen went back to "Please insert your card"...
My roommate tried pushing all the buttons on the machine but that didn't work. We asked the store employees but they said they couldn't do anything about it and that maybe the card will come back out so we should wait lol We would probably have been waiting an hour or so with no results if I hadn't tried putting in another card (just a Krogers card that I don't really need) into the slot. This card went in and right away the screen went to "Select your language." I canceled and pushed the option on the screen to get my card back and only that card came back. The debit card had gotten swallowed into the unfathomable depths of the machine somehow..scary huh? Just think what robots would be able to do if one day there's actually artificial intelligence. I think they'd be able to do worse than just take your debit or credit card for their mysterious purposes lol

No, Wall-E is actually cute and nice =P
So I had to abandon my card, cancel it, and am now waiting for a new one. It's very fortunate that I bought food right before I lost the card lol I don't have any other credit cards and the bank I use is in another state. I just won't be spending money for a while until I get the new card. This unexpected event may seem unlucky but on the bright side, it's actually not harmful at all to my financial situation ;) but now I will be wary of using ATM machines. I'll only use them if there's no other option.
I wonder if a repairman will come take a look at that ATM machine. One day, if someone does open it up, I imagine that they will find a bunch of cards that evil machine has swallowed lol

No comments:

Post a Comment